The friendly people over at Skyrim Subreddit have discovered that you can transfer you character from your Xbox 360 (using a USB Thumbdrive) to your PC. This is particularly useful for those who started on the Xbox and have put in a good amount of time into that character but, want to experience the higher fidelity, superior performing and impressive mod-touting PC version. Thanks to vw_luke for sharing.
- Copy your Skyrim savegame from your Xbox 360 console to a USB Thumbdrive (navigate to Console Settings -> Storage to do this).
- Download Modio and install it onto your computer.
- Modio should recognise your Xbox 360 formatted drive, Click ‘open from device’.
- Locate your Skyrim save file and open it.
- Click the file contents tab. Extract savegame.dat and then right-click the extracted file and rename to ‘savegame.ess’ (no quotes)
- Place the ‘savegame.ess’ file into your Skyrim save game location.